Purpose of the “beSomebody” initiative:
The ‘beSomebody’ is a campaign on good citizenship, role modeling, reducing bullying, and eliminating alcohol and other drug abuse. This initiative provides direction to youth and adults to show that in order to make positive change, we must start with ourselves by displaying good character and standing up for what is right.
Continued coordination of the beSomebody initiative.
- Sent weekly texts to 453 young people with positive, uplifting messages.
- Maintained beSomebody Twitter page and Facebook page
- Middle and High School Youth formed beSomebody groups to address a need in their school.
- Provided educational trainings in English and Spanish
- 2015 beSomebody awards: Briar Cliff University Enactus Team, Michael McGowan, Great West Casualty Company Teen Court Judges
In order to reach the desired outcomes, we will move people to action by:
Conducting a social norming media campaign to meaningfully engage young people.
Coordinating a traditional media campaign to raise awareness and drive conversation amongst adults.
Engaging with local agencies to integrate the ‘beSomebody’ campaign with other community programs.
Enhancing student curricula by developing a parent component for current alcohol and other drug and anti-bullying curricula.
Recognizing communication action through a ‘beSomebody’ annual award(s).
Traditional and Social Media Initiative includes:
Public Service Announcements
Posters with 2D Bar Code sign up
Cell Phone Messages-High School Students — Sign up at by texting 41411 to receive inspirational texts and coupons
- Facebook and Twitter Messages